I am writing this post all curled up in bed cuddled with my puppy. Laying here, I am reflecting on the day (from what I can remember) and deciding what to say. I am too tired to come up with anything too deep or funny so I have decided to just give a play by play.
This morning I woke up at 4. That has been my internal alarm clock for the last week. However, this time I was actually able to use the bathroom and go right back to bed. My alarm went off at 6. All in all, a pretty good nights sleep. This morning my ovaries were EXTRA sensitive! I literally felt like one false move and an ovary was going to burst. It hurt to actually walk.
We made it to the office at 7:50. Waiting room was empty and I was taken back within 5 minutes to get my IV started. My coordinator/nurse "C" tried my left wrist, buy my vein was rolling. The thing about not being able to drink or eat after midnight..veins do not like to cooperate. C was able to get a vein first stick on the right wrist. Jerry was then able to come back and wait with me. Another nurse came in and explained what to expect the next few days (symptoms, meds, when I will be called with results).
The anesthesiologist then came in and started asking questions. Heart problems, thyroid, allergies, etc. I said no to everything, She then asked if I had any questions. I said no questions, but a few years ago I had a laproscopic procedure (for endometriosis) was fine during, but afterwards I had uncontrollable shaking for 24 hours. She immediately said that would not have been from the anesthesia. Now, obviously I am not the professional, but I was told by my dr and nurse at the hospital that I had a reaction from the anesthesia. Just repeating what I was told! It really made me uncomfortable because she was pretty much calling me a liar. I shrugged it off and just said ok. She walked out and immediately Jerry and I looked at each other. Didn't have to say anything. The look said it all.
Another nurse came in and asked if I was ready. Uhh, lady my ovaries have BEEN ready :O) I had to walk in the room in a lovely hospital gown with the IV bag rolled in behind me. It looked just like an exam room, but larger and with more equipment. There was another nurse in there and then came in the anesthesiologist. I sat down on the table and put my legs up over the stirrups as opposed to my feet on them like other exams. I asked how long I would be out for. The Anesthesiologist said oh you will be awake in just a few minutes. Dr. P.A. then came in and with a big smile asked if I was ready. Yes sir! Let's do this! the anesthesiologist put a few injections in my IV and I was o--u----t.
I would love to say when I woke up, but seems how I did not really wake up until after 1...I will tell you what Jerry told me. When I went into the procedure room Jerry went into another room and uh hum...made his contribution. He then went back out in the waiting room and not even 10 minutes later was told I was done and could come back. When C brought him back he saw the anesthesiologist shaking me. Not dramatically, but more of a child wanting to go open their gifts on Christmas morning. When he walked in he asked what's going on? Her response was, she was very nervous beforehand. Ummmm....no not so much lady and what does that have to do with shaking me?
So apparently, after that the nurses took rotations coming in trying to wake me up. I do not remember ONE BIT of it. One nurse came in and said that I had 5 minutes because they had other patients that needed the room. Jerry was less than thrilled seems how his wife could not open her eyes or even hold her own head up. C went and got me a Sprite and Jerry said she was being very nice. I took two sips and apparently did not look very good. Jerry grabbed the trash can...and yep...I ralphed...twice. Finally, they said I could lay back down. But 3 minutes later I was told again I had to go. Poor Jerry had to dress me with NO help from me. I could not imagine dressing someone completely as they are passed out, but I cannot imagine it was easy. The nurse came around with the wheelchair and out I went. I was wheeled through the waiting room while other women waited to go in. What on earth were they thinking when they saw me? Head hanging over chair with drool coming down my mouth! We got outside amd Jerry pulled the car around. He had to pick me up and physically put me in the car.
When we got home, Jerry got me into bed and I did not actually wake up until after 1. My procedure was at 9. The anesthesiologist said I would be asleep for a few minutes. No more comment.
Jerry was my hero today. He took such good care of me. On the way home he stopped by McDonald's and got me a Big Mac (my favorite). After he got me in bed and put my food out I guess I attempted to eat. Each time he came in the room I had fallen back asleep, but with half chewed food in my mouth. He finally gave up. Later on around 2 when I was awake, my hero went and got me another Big Mac. He really is the best!
I do not know about any of you reading this, but after what Jerry told me, I was seriously upset! I cannot believe I was treated like this and essentially kicked to the curb! I have had a few different procedures where I received anesthesia and NEVER was I let go before I could even open my eyes or speak a word.
So all of this pretty much....sucked. However, I am going to say right now it was still a good day. How on earth could I say that...?
They retrieved 31 follicles...yes that is right 31 eggs!!!!!!
So now I am trying to let the day go and right now I am just thankful for our 31 embryos. I pray that tomorrow I get a call and hear that there is a high number that fertilized. Most of all, I thank God for giving us this opportunity and that we were able to get this far.
I have stopped numerous times during this post, because I am still out of it. I am going to go to bed now. Thank you all for the prayers today. You all mean the world to me!!
Friday, April 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Girl, 31 is wonderful!!!! How in the world did you do THAT?!? So excited for you...can't wait to hear about the fertilization report.
ReplyDeleteThey seriously let you go without letting you recover? As a nurse myself, that's a HUGE no- no! You should have been in a recovery room for atleast 1/2 to 1 hour after your anesthesia. Probably even longer since your body is obviously really sensitive to the meds. Crazy. I would be having something to say about that next time you talk to your doctor!
I'm glad you're okay...get some rest! Grow babies grow!
Yea for 31 eggs!! That is fantastic! So excited about that for you. No wonder you were in so much pain.
ReplyDeleteNow on to the other part. OH MY GOODNESS!!! I think that is awful! I didn't think it was ever ok to let someone leave after anesthesia if they were not fully awake. That just seems like so many things could go wrong. I would definitely talk to the dr about it when you go back in.
I'm so excited for you. Glad you are feeling better. Get lots of rest and think good thoughts. Sure will be praying for you and all those embies! ((HUGS))
31 eggs is fantastic!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you were treated like that. You should not have gone home in that state. I think at my RE's office I was instructed to stay for a couple hours.....and I only had twilight anesthesia!!
I guess the good thing is that you have 31 eggs and you are ok now.
I would have freaked out if i was one of the girls in the waiting room and I saw you being strolled in that state!!
31 eggs who hooooo! I'm hoping for a high fertilization rate.
ReplyDeleteI hope you are feeling better today. I will call you after my ER.
Wowy! You are an egg machine! Obviously that doctor's office is great at doing the actual retrieval but holy hell that is TERRIBLE service! I cant' believe they would actually LET you leave (oh I mean FORCE you to leave!) still asleep and without having peed (they always have made sure I can go pee and eat/drink on my own before I can leave from ANY procedure- even wisdom teeth!) They better make up for it by getting you nice and pregnant!
ReplyDeleteHoping for awesome results tomorrow!
LTB
Holy Crap!! I can't believe they let you go home like that! They made me eat 2 saltine crackers, drink some water, get up (with help from hubby) to pee, and make sure I could half way dress myself before they let me go! But 31 eggs is amazing!! GO YOU! :)
ReplyDelete31 is amazing! But wow, can't believe how they treated you, especially after you've had a bad experience with anesth before!!! GEEZ. Thank God for your hubby! Hope you feel better soon!
ReplyDeleteWow! Congrats on 31. I'm in shock how cruel you guys were treated at the clinic! That's horrible.
ReplyDeleteOMG how exciting!!! I'm so happy for you!! 31 Wohooooooooooo!! Your hubby is an angel, how are you feeling today? Do you have cramps? Can't wait to hear how many got fertilized, praying for you guys!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for the bad experience. That is completely not acceptable. We were in recovery for almost an hour after RE! But the most important thing is the great results. Wishing you the best for ET!
ReplyDeleteSo very excited for you!!! 31 is FANTASTIC!!! On a down note, I CANNOT believe you were treated that way. Seriously, that is beyond crazy to me. Enough about that though b/c there is so much positive to focus on! Can't wait to see how this cycle turns out for you. Everything sounds so perfect!
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for your eggies! So mad at that place for being like a factory when they are dealing with peoples lives. So sorry you had to deal with that. Shame on them.
ReplyDelete